Sunday, September 19, 2010

Glasgow...kinda

So I just returned from my 'vacation' to Glasgow to visit my cousin Caralyn and it was quite the experience.  I arrived late on Thursday night and we pretty much just went to bed.  Friday morning we got up and I accompanied her to her first class, and walked around the Vet campus while she attended others.  After a nap we ventured down onto Byre road--a sort of commercialized street with various restaurants, shops and bars.  We had a nice dinner at a cute little Italian place (which made me want to take a trip to Rome!!) and then wandered up to the main campus of Glasgow university.  We then found some ice cream and a couple of nice bars to sit in and catch up. It was a great evening!  Saturday morning found Caralyn with a hurt knee-- she had recently had surgery but it was really bothering her.  Upon further inspection we determined that things were not looking normal and headed off to the hospital.  Hours of frusteration at socialized medicine later we came out with no definitive answer and a pair of crutches.  We opted to stay in a hotel in the Glasgow City Center for the night so that we might still be able to get a meal or something and so I could make my 4:30am bus the next morning.  I dropped Caralyn off at the Hotel for a much deserved nap and headed out down Buchanan Street, the main commercial street in Glasgow.  After some shopping I went back and picked her up and we headed out for an early dinner and went back to the hotel to catch up on some CSI.  I then woke up bright and early this morning and headed back to Cork.  It wasn't the trip that I had planned but oh well, you take what you can get and it was good to visit with her!
I start actual classes tomorrow, which is crazy because it means that I have already been here for a month.  I can't even believe how fast time is flying by.  I haven't exactly figured out what classes I am taking, so I guess that's what I will be doing this afternoon.  Although its kind of scary I think I am ready to get into a routine.  This first week is called Freshers week--for all of the incoming students and the city/campus holds huge basically parties like 24/7 all throughout the city and gives away all sorts of free things---so it might not be a routine quite yet but I think it will help to have some responsibility of classes.  I also booked a trip to Barcelona to visit some friends and am trying to plan trips to France, London and Italy.  The good thing about the study abroad program at DU is that I have friends all over the place to go visit and stay with!  Hopefully some of them will be coming to visit me as well-- we'll have to see!

Traditional Scottish band playing on Buchanan Street



Ashton Lane--

Italian Cocktails!

Can't forget dessert!

Hobbles.

Buchanan Street



River on the Glasgow Campus



So green!

No comments:

Post a Comment