Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I have classes?

Well I started my classes at Cork finally and its been quite a shock to my nonchalant fun loving party attitude that had really become quite comfortable.  I'm taking a good mix of classes while I'm here.  First I'm taking a philosophy course on reasoning and argument, its certainly something that I've never done before but seems like it will be interesting!  I also signed up for an English course on Chaucer's Canterbury Tales--this again is something that I usually wouldn't have signed up for but also something that I thought would add to my overall curriculum.  The first week these were my only two classes and I felt a little bit lost between the theory and early english text but this week I was relieved to begin my science courses.  I am taking a microbiology class entitled Transmission and Epidemiology of Infectious Disease which seems like it is going to be quite alarming but interesting nonetheless.  I am also taking a marine mammal biology class with a professor who seems like she has a lot to offer.  She has already offered me the chance to be on her alert contact list for strandings and necropsies of marine mammals which will be pretty amazing, and an opportunity I would not have gotten in Denver.  Finally I am taking an Animal Behavior--or Behaviour if you will--class which also seems like it will be great!  Although classes are interrupting my social life, I am actually really excited to get started and settle into a routine.  I also joined the choral and photography societies so that should help me integrate into the campus scene!
On September 23rd we celebrated Arthur Guinness Day-- the anniversary of the guinness company.  At 17:59 there was a worldwide toast to represent the year, 1759, in which the brewery opened.  This day was pretty amazing and involved all classes being cancelled (I guess the profs wanted to participate) and free or cheap guinness throughout the city.  I even 'suffered' my way through a couple guinness just to please my dad of course!  I don't have any pictures to post at this point, but hope to get up to Galway and the cliffs of Moher this weekend so look forward to that!  I do however have a link to a video (of poor quality sorry) of our worldwide toast on the courthouse steps of Cork!  If you look closely (hint: 1:20 ish) you can even see me!

Arthur Guinness Day- Cork 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment